Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Aces again, Queens again

Back at the Hard Rock for another day of grinding it out.  Again there were a bunch of $1-$2 tables with seats open but the two $1-$3 tables had a list.  I was third on the list and went and bought $80 in red ($5) chips and $20 in white ($1) and another hundred in green ($25) just in case - and also to be used when I moved over to the $1-$3.  As you may know, the $1-$2 game at the Hard Rock has a minimum buy-in of $40 and a maximum buy-in of $100 while the $1-$3 tables go from $100 to $300.   I like to start with $100 at the $1-$2 and at least $200 at the $1-$3.

I have changed my strategy a little bit.  I no longer make continuation bets on the flop when facing three or more callers if I completely miss.  Well, most of the time anyways.  If the flop is Q-Q-3 and it is checked to me, I may take a stab at it. But, if I don't win it right there, I am probably done with it.

One of the first hands at $1-$2 was pocket queens.  They held up followed by some raises that got called by several and I had to give them up when I missed.  One hand I raised with some loosely connected cards, missed the flop and one of the out-of-position callers led out into me.  So I folded.  No sense in paying him off.  Then I did the same and picked up a double gutter i.e. two different cards could make me a straight.  It went like this: Raise with J-10.  Flop K-9-7.  Either an 8 or a Q makes me a straight.  A bet after the flop took it down.  Later, after limping from the button, the Small Blind makes it $8 to go and two of us call.  I flop a gut shot draw.  The Small Blind checks, amazingly because if you raise from the Small or Big Blind you are supposed to have a very strong hand like AA, KK or QQ which would dictate a continuation bet on the flop.  After the Turn, the Small Blind makes a weak lead at the pot and gets a call from across the table.  I figured that if I can catch a five on the River, I may be able to take somebody's whole stack and that is exactly what happened.  I caught the five, made my straight, the Small Blind lead out for about $20 and I raised enough to put him all in, about another $60.  He called with unimproved Pocket Aces.

About an hour later, I still had not been called to play $1-$3 but I could see that I was next on the list.  I got Pocket Aces in the Big Blind.  There were four callers, so $10 in the pot.  I raised $10 "on top." Two players called.  The flop had two suits, so I had to protect my hand.  I bet $25 and got one caller. A brick fell on the Turn.  No possible help to anyone. I looked at his stack which was short, about $30 left, so I bet it.  He called.  I showed him my Aces and after the River, he mucked his hand.  Next hand they called me.  I left the table with $325 plus the other hundred still in my pocket.

I also had some luck at the $1-$3 table.  QQ on one of my first hands busted a short stack right next to me and I was up $100.  Later, after scolding myself for calling $30 on the River when I only held the idiot end of a Jack high straight, I raised with AK of spades.  Flopped a flush draw and led out for $15.  One caller.  Missed.  Led out again for $15.  Called again.  Hit the flush on the River and gave it the Hollywood frown and a quick check.  My opponent led out for $30.  I thought about it, then raised to $90 and got a call.  She was floored when I turned over the nuts.  She tossed a set of jacks into the muck.  Several hands later I called a small raise with 5-7 of spades and also rivered a flush.  That was also good for a nice pot when I got called.  Lastly, I got Aces again and made a good raise.  The caller was the same guy I had busted with the queens.  He was short stacked again and called a big bet on the Turn.  I showed him the AA and seeing the last card he says, "Straight!" However, his straight was 6-7-8-10-J which is missing a nine.  I cashed out for the day at $717, up $517 for the afternoon.

No comments: