Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Desert Golf



Portrait of Dan, half my age but still my poker guru, instructor, friend and now Dealer Coordinator. Law school will be taking Dan's career in a new direction soon.

Rio Secco Golf Club is situated high in the hills overlooking the Las Vegas Strip. It is where Butch Harmon has his golf school and where Tiger Woods once honed his game. Tiger's course record scores are printed hole by hole on the scorecard. Employees of Harrah's get to play it for a deeply discounted employee rate, but tee times are limited to late afternoon, the hottest part of the day. Our daytime high temperature was 104 degrees. The course was beautiful but it was hot. In the middle of the round I think I was getting a touch of heat stroke and my game fell apart. I wasn't as worried about missing fairways as I was about my rapid heartbeat and feeling a bit dizzy. It is no wonder that we were the only ones out there. I had two bottles of water and a quart and a half of Gatorade and was still getting dehydrated.

Despite all that I played some good golf in spurts. After the sun lost its sting I was able to birdie the spectacular 18th hole, my second bird of the day. Someplace along the way I also made an eleven, but we failed to calculate a grand total at the end. Dan and I were playing match play and he had me four down by the turn. Blue Moons are on me!

No comments: