Sunday, May 16, 2010

Coming Soon: WSOP 2010 (click for schedule)

Opening Day for WSOP 2010 is May 27th when Cash Games will be spread and Satellites begin. I plan to be there. Dealer and Staff orientation is May 24th and I plan to post blogs with anything new or interesting.

This year I'll be spending the first few days at the Stratosphere Hotel. They offered a rate I just couldn't pass up (like $25 a night) and I thought it would be fun to spend those first few days playing the Stratosphere's daily No Limit Hold'em tournaments. I had some success winning one and cashing in several in '08 and '09, so I thought I would give it a go this year, really commit to it and see what happens. It is not a real big risk. Each tournament has an entry fee of around $50 with about 40 players and paying the top four or five finishers.

I like the Stratosphere tournaments because I think I can be competitive there. First off, it is far enough from the Rio that most WSOP tournament players don't stay there, however, last year several were in residence including a former professional baseball pitcher named Adam and a Norwiegen player called Acid. Otherwise, the tournament fields are made up of a few local regulars and the rest is tourists that often make the field softer than any you find in the WSOP or at the high stakes haunts like Bellagio or Venetian. Neither my game nor my ego is yet ready for major league competition.

By the end of the week I will be settling into more permanent digs renting a room from Sara and Al just south of the airport.

More to come...

1 comment:

Ian said...

Have fun this year Buzz. Sadly I wont be making it to Vegas. Be sure to say hello to Sarah and Al for me.