Saturday, June 25, 2011

And I'm a player, too?

Yeah, but you wouldn't know it from my play.  Tried the 2:00 Deep Stack tournament and lost half my stack on the first hand I played with top pair.  Outkicked.  Blinded down then won a race, then lost a race.

Won back half my entry playing 3-6 at Sam's Town but lost a wad playing No Limit at Monte Carlo and followed up by losing two buy-ins at the WSOP $1-$3 No Limit game ultimately whiffing a 3-way all in with a straight draw - flush draw - straight flush gut shot draw.  The winner had a pair of eights.  I simply suck.  I'm just getting frustrated by seeing these guys hit the table wearing gold Submariners, flashing stacks of hundreds and raising me $50 on every $10 "information" bet that I make or worse, check-raising me $150 when I pot the flop in position with second pair.  The worst part is watching them dump $300, $600 or $1000 on the table with loose play and seeing everybody else flopping sets or straights or hitting draws.  When the "Push Monkeys" as Barry calls them are giving it away, I can't find a hand to play.

I suppose it is a form of going "on tilt".  I get frustrated with not getting goods cards, so I wind up shoving a bunch of chips into the pot when I get a good starting hand, then following up with bluffs that have little chance of success when I miss.  Usuallly the other guy has the hand I am representing with my bluff.  My thinking seems to go like this:
I need to bet to make that flush draw pay to get there.  Now that the flush draw came in, I'll bluff like I got there, and I get called by the guy that actually did.

 Great read, huh?  It's almost as good as my squeeze play.  A squeeze play is made when an aggressive player makes a standard raise and gets a call, the squeezer (usually in the small or big blind) is last to act and makes a raise of four to five times the size of the original raise.  When it works, the original raiser is someone who often raises light and has a big range.  The assumption is that the caller has a weak holding because he would have re-raised with a strong hand.  When successful, they both fold.  It is kind of a corollary to the idea that if someone raises from the big or small blind, they should have a very powerful hand like a pair of Aces, Kings or Queens in the hole because why else would a player be willing to play the hand, now with a big re-raised pot, out of position?

I've got to play with better discipline and make better decisions.  I need to pick my spots better and when the situation doesn't fit, walk away rather than talking myself into trying to get lucky.  At the table, it is tough to do.  I sit and watch pot after pot pushed to hands that I would never play.  It's tough to play against the Push Monkeys, but while those guys seem to steal a lot of pots, they also go broke a lot.  They suffer big swings.  I just need to figure out how to scoop up my share when they have a downswing and avoid them when they are on a rush.  But careful, because even the Push Monkeys get Aces occasionally.

No comments: