Monday, June 20, 2011

Norm Chad

Norm Chad plays as well as comments
I was able to get a table to get an assignment to deal day two of the $10,000 entry  Seven Card Stud Hi-Low Split-8 or Better Championship.  Norm Chad, ESPN Poker analyst and commentator sat to my right in the number eight seat.  In addition to commentating, Norm also likes to play a little poker and is often seen playing his preferred game, Seven Card Stud.  This tournament was filled with name players, people you would see often on televised poker shows like High Stakes Poker and Poker After Dark.  


Last year I also had Norm at one of my tables and I told him a joke I made up about Phil Hellmuth going back to Wisconsin to sell "Poker Brats".  Now, of course, you need to know a little about Phil Hellmuth to get the joke.  (You can skip this if you are a die hard Poker fan and live in the midwest.)  Phil Hellmuth is known to be one of, if not the one and only greatest tournament poker player alive, however, his ego sometimes gets him in trouble as he pouts and rants and acts like a child when he loses, earning him the knickname, "The Poker Brat", coined by Norman Chad.  Phil also grew up in Wisconsin, home to the world's greatest source of Bratwurst, served at most all Wisconsin sporting events and more popular around there than hot dogs.


During a lull in this year's action I mentioned to Norm that he didn't use my line about Hellmuth going back to Wisconsin to sell Poker Brats.  He laughed out loud and told me that he liked it, but it didn't make the broadcast.  He said, "But, I wrote it down!"  I told him I was honored.

2 comments:

Ian said...

Buz, try telling Mr Chad that he's about as funny as Herpes, and we all wish they would replace him with Gabe Kaplan now that he's done with High Stakes Poker.

Keep the blog coming mate. Loving the read.

Buz said...

I miss Gabe on High Stakes Poker, but Norm has always been nice to me when he has spent time with him at my tables over the years.