Friday, July 2, 2010

Back to Back Flack


Layne Flack got his nickname "Back-to-Back" after winning two WSOP Bracelet events in 2002. Both were in No Limit Hold'em.


After I had broken a table in the $1000 No Limit Hold'em event I was assigned to the late entry section which allows players to begin the tournament at the start of level three with a full stack of chips. Many big name pros feel that their time is better spent doing other things than playing the first two levels of the tournament when the blinds are so low compared to the average chip stack. It makes the late entry tables very tough tables to play at.

Tom Schneider, 2007 WSOP Player of the year, checked into the table, handing me his buy-in receipt. I greeted him and asked for his ID telling him that although I know who he is I still am supposed to ask for his ID. "No problem." He handed me his driver's license. After I checked in several others to the table Layne Flack showed up. He was loud and seemed "under the influence" shouting at the other players, "Your worst nightmare just got here and it's me in this tournament!"

He threw his crumpled up receipt to me saying, "You know who the fuck I am and you don't need any fucking ID."

"No problem - Floor! Table 208"

Layne Flack's passport then suddenly appeared in front of me. The floor supervisor showed up looking very concerned. I waved him off, "Player found his passport."

Then Chris Ferguson showed up to check in in full "Jesus" regalia: Black cowboy hat, shoulder length hair, black leather duster.

"I wanna see you ask for his fucking ID!" Everyone at the table was laughing and shaking their heads.

Chris handed me his receipt and I dutifully asked for his ID. He reached in his pocket and handed me a twenty dollar bill.

I took the twenty, looked down at it, looked back at Chris and said, "Works for me!" as I put the twenty in my vest pocket with a smile and pushed his stack of chips toward his seat.

A dealer tapped me on the shoulder. I couldn't believe it. It was 2:30. I didn't even get to deal this raucous table a hand and the push was going through and I had to go on break. Rats. If the check-in was that exciting, the Poker was bound to be entertaining!

No comments: