Friday, June 25, 2010

$200 coin flip - not quite

At Flamingo for another try at winning a few chips.  As typical, I was able to stay about even for a few hours either by flopping the best hand or stealing a pot here and there with a well timed bluff to offset those times my opponents actually had a hand.

I tried raising to $7 in position with a 5-6 of diamonds knowing I would be called but thinking I might get lucky.  Yes, the flop had a 5 and also two diamonds so with a little luck I might be able to make a winner with a flush, two pair or trips if I spiked a third 5.

There was a $25 bet followed by a $25 call.  Emboldened by my success with the big draw the other day I raised it to $75.  The first bettor folded but the caller then re-raised all in and had me covered.  My quick calculations were:  9 diamonds to make me a winning flush and possibly 5 other cards (fives or sixes) to make trips or two pair that would be good enough to beat pocket Aces or Kings.  The pot now had $28 from preflop betting, $25 dead money from the folder, my $75 and the raiser's $192 for a total of $320 offered for my $118 call.  This was a fair price seeing that I had all those good draws and folding just meant I lose the $75 I already put in there.

I called.  The raiser had a set of eights and I only had the 9 outs to the flush.

I missed.

Busted.  Down $200 and done for the night.

No comments: