Monday, June 7, 2010

Flamingo Flamenco

On Sunday, we held Day 1B of the second weekend $1000 No Limit Hold'em Tournament.  Last weekend we held the first these low entry fee tournaments and it was very successful.  They had over 4300 entries.  This weekend's $1000 was not nearly as popular.  There were 1922 entrants on Day 1A and only 1120 on Sunday, Day 1B.  This was some 30% below projections.  They asked the dealers for volunteers to take the day off.

Many local dealers are happy to have an unexpected day off but those of us in from out of town have room and car rental expenses and we need the work.

I spent the early part of my shift checking in players and re-routing them to their last minute table assignment.  The low turnout caused some problems where some tables only had one or two playeres assigned, so when they showed up, we filled in gaps in other tables that were nearly full but had open seats.  I was then able to deal for a couple hours before the field shrank down and my table broken.  I was then assigned to deal in the "Live Action" area.  This was nothing noteworthy except that I was able to deal a nice variety of games including $50-$100 7 Card Stud Hi-Lo and Omaha 8 in addition to the usual smaller No Limit Hold'em games.

I would have liked to catch up with Jim and Kristen playing cards at the Flamingo but by the time Barry and I finished our Salsbury Steak dinner at the EDR (Employee Dining Room) and headed over there, Jim and Kristen had already moved on to Caesar's Palace in search of Sushi.  We did, however, stop to play some Poker.

My first hand I flopped the nut Flush holding the Ace and Four of Spades.

When a guy with a very large stack to my right bet $25 on the Turn I raised to $50.

He said, "Why would you do that?"

I told him, "If another Spade hits the River, I'm going to win a big pot."

He said, "I'm all in."

I called. He had the second nut Flush and I won a $400+ pot! 

I may have earlier failed to mention to the gentleman that I was also going to win a big pot if a spade did not hit the River, but that was information I didn't want him have at the time.  You see, he was holding a Queen high Spade Flush and the reason he made such a large bet was because if I had a draw to a better Flush, he wanted me to pay dearly to outdraw him.  He simply didn't realize that he was already dead and had no possibility of winning the pot.

After that hand I played just a little better than break-even Poker for the next 3 hours until Barry yanked me off the table saying, "I gotta get you out of here before you lose back everything you've won!"

No comments: